Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The end of the line...

As a young sign writing apprentice, my boss offered up a few lettering brushes from a shoe box full of unused old brushes. Back in the day, brush salesmen would stop by the shop, and sell brushes. They would always try to under sale the last guy, and make it easy to stock up in quantity. I can only remember one salesman selling brushes, and that had to be in 1989. Now, most sign supply company's don't even offer brushes, and usually seem quite amazed to hear that you hand letter signs. And once you find lettering brushes, they are poor at very best, compared to the old brushes. The three brushes above, are the last unused brushes that I have, I want so bad to use them, as they pull such a sharp edge, and have such a crisp snap. I hesitate though as these brushes are 40+ years old. You can't even get Grey Squirrel hair brushes anymore. These brushes I like to call "money makers" because they work so well, and fast (half the strokes, with the same result). Sometimes I wish that I had a time machine...

3 comments:

  1. So, you are saying you want a time machine for grey squirrel hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried to make brushes? I haven't done it, but Radco has a paragraph or two about how to do it...

    ReplyDelete