Thursday, June 16, 2011

The road to Shandon...

One of the things that I love the most about the area that we live in, is the surprises found around the next turn. There are so many back roads in this area, that although I try to drive or ride them all, it seems that there is always a new one to explore. The trailer that I striped below, is in a small town called Shandon, up a canyon road that I had never driven. I took a few pictures on my way out yesterday. I am blown away that there is still a old oil derrick (that hasn't been torn down for scrap) that is a real throwback, and the only one that I have ever seen around here (the movie, "There will be Blood" in reality, took place in these parts at the turn of the century). The old chapel on the hill, was only build a few years back, but built with 16th century artifacts bought from the still huge Hearst collection. The chapel was built so that the wealthy ranchers daughter would have a "special" place to get married. Great old homestead, waisting away in the summer sun. When I get some extra time, I will have to drive this road all the way through, who knows what's around the next turn. Oh and by the way, cowboy actor Sam Elliot lives somewhere out here in Shandon...



No comments:

Post a Comment